Friday, October 9, 2009

Facebook

When I was a sophomore in college, I was introduced to the world of Facebook. It seems even pointless to explain what it is, because it appears everyone has a Facebook page nowadays. Once was just a website for college students to keep in touch with one another has boomed into a powerhouse where any age with any e-mail address (not just a university-based one) can gain access to their own page.

My first year teaching at HP, I brought up the idea of using Facebook as an educational tool. Immediately I was shot down. It did not surprise me. The power of the Internet has been a lot for parents to handle. It is understandable in a way since children can go about socially connecting privately in their own bedrooms on their computers. Facebook is a way for kids to have their "independence." A week ago I got an e-mail asking if I would be the guinea pig to start up a Facebook group for my classroom. I was thrilled! Though my students were a little skeptical at first, I am now up to 50 kids in my group. Here is what I and my kids can do in the group:
1. Chat back and forth about homework questions
2. Discuss topics in "Debate Forums" I create
3. Access important class information including calendars and receive announcements about upcoming tests and quizzes.
4. Post links, pictures, and video
5. Chat with me or other kids online under the Facebook Chat button (similar to an Instant Message)

I am sure there are much more things I can do. I am just beginning to explore all the possibilities!

2 comments:

  1. Please let me know how this works out for you. My team and I are considering creating a Facebook group as well (at HPHS). Some kids said they would really like it and some kids think it is "awkward." Did you send a letter home? What features are they using? Have you run into any unexpected problems? Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. no letter home needed according to my tech head. i did think this was pretty strange though...sorry to just now be getting back to you! :)

    ReplyDelete